Bosley St Mary's Parent Forum
Next meeting date: Monday 17th June 2019 at 3pm
Summaries of previous meetings are available to download at the bottom of this page.
Parent Forum Terms of Reference
The Parent Forum is a partnership between parents/carers and the School.
Regular, open communication and consultation with parents is vitally important to the school. The Parent Forum provides a valuable way to listen to your ideas and concerns and seek your views, helping to make sure the needs of children and their families are met. It also allows school to feedback to parents on changes occurring within the school.
The aims of the Parent Forum will be to:
- Work in partnership to create a welcoming school environment which is inclusive for all parents and carers.
- Work together to improve the education provided for our children.
- To identify and represent the views of parents on matters affecting the education and welfare of pupils.
- Further improve communications between parents/carers, staff and the governing board.
It is important to note that the Parent Forum group will not have any statutory responsibilities, duties or powers in the school. It is not a decision-making group. The remit of decision making is held by the School Leadership Team and the Governing Body.
It is not a platform to discuss concerns or complaints involving individual children, families or members of staff. If you have concerns of this nature, please speak to your Class Teacher or to the Head Teacher in the first instance.
Parent Forum Committee:
The Parent Forum will be led by a committee made up of volunteer parent/carer representatives and representatives of the School and Governing Body.
Any parent/carer of a child currently attending Bosley St Mary’s is welcome to volunteer to be on the Parent Forum Committee. Members shall be expected to remain part the Parent Forum for a minimum of one academic year. If a member should need to relinquish their position, intention to do so should be given in writing with four weeks’ notice.
Positions of Chair and Secretary will be agreed by Parent Forum members immediately following formation. Office-bearers will be re-selected by the Parent Forum on an annual basis.
Responsibilities of Chair:
- To agree agenda items in discussion with Head Teacher and governor representative.
- To chair the meeting, ensuring that the agenda is adhered to and the duration of meeting is efficient.
Responsibilities of Secretary:
- To take minutes of each meeting and distribute to the school community.
- To publicise the meetings to allow parents to contribute their views.
Responsibilities of Parent Representatives:
- Provide a point of contact for parents to express views either verbally or written and provide feedback from meetings.
The Parent Forum will meet once every term. The dates of these meetings will be agreed and publicised at the start of each academic year.
All parents/carers are warmly welcomed to attend any Parent Forum meeting.
The meetings should create a positive and respectful environment for discussion and attendees are expected to abide by the following code of conduct:
- Listen to the views of others and welcome diversity of opinions
- Treat speakers with respect
- Act courteously
- Contribute and participate
- Avoid naming individual members of the school community (pupils, families or staff).
Feedback from meetings is discussed by Staff and at the Full Governing Board meetings, as well as publicised to parents.
How parents/carers can get involved:
- Complete any parent survey distributed (feedback from these surveys can help form agenda items for future meetings)
- Become a Parent Forum Committee member
- Attend Parent Forum meetings
- Speak to a parent representative to discuss any general concerns that you may want Parent Forum to discuss
- Publicise Parent Forum to other parents/carers to help promote the partnership between school and parents and help make it successful.